Monday, March 19, 2012

Salmon Lover

For the last eight years or so, every summer my friend Lindsay and I go on a quest for a good "salmon on salad." There's something about a big veggie-packed salad with a crispy piece of grilled salmon on top that we just love, but for some reason, we can never find a restaurant that serves it. The simple solution? Make it myself!


We bought a big piece of salmon while we were grocery shopping the other day, and Matt decided to smoke the fish so we could use part of it on a salad and part of it for bagel & lox sandwiches. He brined it last night, and then this evening smoked it over very low heat with mesquite wood for about two hours. The result was delicious! It was salty, smoky, tender and a bit crispy on the edges.


While the salmon was smoking, I made us each a big salad filled with arugula, romaine lettuce, carrots, broccoli, red peppers, and soy nuts. I dressed our salads simply with a quick vinaigrette that included:
  • Olive oil
  • Red wine vinegar
  • Dried dill
  • Lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper
I also served us each a slice of toasted whole wheat rye bread for some good carbs. This dinner was summertime on a plate. Smile


With a nice full belly, I'm headed to bed early tonight to hopefully make a big dent in my book. G'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment