Thursday, March 1, 2012

Weekly Meals Roundup

As I mentioned last night, we had a big grocery shopping trip yesterday since we were away the last few weekends. Before I go grocery shopping, which is usually every two weeks, I always write down a list of meals I plan to make over the coming weeks. I find this helpful for a few reasons:

1. My shopping trips take less time because I already know what I'm going to make and which ingredients I need to buy.
2. It's easier to make healthy meals at home, even on hectic nights, if we have a list of meals to choose from. It takes the guesswork out of dinnertime and reduces the chances that we'll eat something unhealthy or order takeout on a weeknight.
3. It forces me to come up with new ideas so we don't find ourselves getting bored with the same old humdrum meals night after night. After eating grilled fish and veggies for weeks on end (blah!), I found that a meals list really helped us jazz up our meals since I could make tasty new dinners quickly on a weeknight.



I thought it might be fun to share my meals list once in a while so you can see what I plan to make and which recipes I'll be sharing. Of course I don't always get to everything on the list, or I might alter a meal I had planned and turn it into something else, but the real purpose of the list is to just help us stay on track - not force us to never go out or change things up!

So without further ado, here are some menu items for March:

March Meals

1. Low-Fat Corn Chowder
2. Vegetarian Chili and Cumin Roasted Cauliflower
3. Zucchini Parmesan over Whole Wheat Pasta
4. Crockpot Lentil Soup and Stuffed Artichokes
5. "Big" Salad with Grilled Shrimp, Mango and Avocado
6. Homemade Sushi (for a fun Friday night dinner - can't wait for this one!)
7. Curry Vegetable Soup
8. "Chicken" with Caramelized Mushroom Gravy and Roasted Brussels Sprouts (made with Morningstar Farms chik patties)

9.  Ginger Garlic Tofu with Indian Spiced Chic Peas
10. "Big Salad" with Arugula, Roasted Beets, Asparagus and Goat Cheese

11. Smoked Cheddar and Green Apple Paninis (they were giving out samples of the cheese at the grocery store, and we were instantly sold)
12. Low-Fat Broccoli Mac & Cheese
13. Shrimp Po'Boys

I'll definitely post recipes for these as I make them. If you have any suggestions for healthy, tasty weeknight meals, please share 'em!

3 comments:

  1. Your list sounds delish!!! That salad sounds so good....I need to make it!

    ReplyDelete