Sunday, April 1, 2012

Crab and Avocado Crostini

Last night we had plans to go to a little dinner party with some of our best friends. Each of us girls brought something to share, and I was asked to bring the appetizer. Since we were having a BBQ I wanted to make something summery and light, and a little different from the usual spinach dip or vegetable crudite. While I was brainstorming, I remembered an appetizer I had at Ryan Michael's a few weeks ago - does anything say summer more than crab + avocado? Well, maybe, but once I got these in my head, they were all I could think of, so I decided to recreate them.




These are crunchy, creamy, citrusy, buttery and light all at the same time. They are easy to make, and also travel well. Since I was driving over an hour to my friend Dana's house, I just packed up the bread rounds, avocado spread and crab salad in individual plastic containers, and then assembled the crostini when I got to her house.



These are a perfect little bite to nibble on while sipping wine and chatting with friends. They're also made without the use of any oil, so between the healthy fat from the avocado and the lean protein from the crabmeat, they aren't half bad for ya!


Crab and Avocado Crostini

Ingredients
1 loaf French bread, cut into thin rounds
Crab mixture (below)
Avocado spread (below)

Ingredients - Crab Mixture
16 oz. crabmeat
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 tsp. lemon juice

Ingredients - Avocado Spread
3 avocados, lightly smashed with a fork
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped
Dash crushed red pepper flakes

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place the bread rounds on the sheet. Spray the bread rounds with cooking spray as well, then sprinkle them with salt. Bake for 7 minutes, then flip them and bake another 2 minutes, until they are lightly toasted and golden brown.

To make the crab mixture, mix all ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.

To make the avocado mixture, mix all ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.

When the bread rounds are toasted and cooled, top each one with a layer of avocado spread and then a spoonful of crab mixture. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment