Monday, April 16, 2012

Tamale Taco Salad

Being that it's an unbelievably gorgeous day out, and unseasonably hot (did you see that this March was was the warmest on record, going back to 1895?), I thought I'd start out with an Earth Day tip. So here we go!

Earth Day Tip #4 (courtesy of Live Right magazine): Watch your sprinklers. To determine how long you should water your lawn, spread six empty tuna cans on your lawn and turn on your sprinklers. When most of the cans have one inch of water in them, turn of the sprinklers and check how long the water ran. This is how long you should run your sprinklers weekly during dry weather. Be sure the sprinklers hit only the lawn so water isn't running off your driveway or sidewalks.

Neat tip! It made me think of this Sesame Street video. Anyone else remember this one?


I actually still think of that fish in the pond when I'm brushing my teeth - guess that show has a big impact on the kiddies! Conservation isn't always easy, of course. True story - a few summers ago, I was home alone for two weeks while Matt was studying marine life in the Bahamas, and I had no idea how long the sprinklers were supposed to run. Well, the timer broke and the sprinklers ran 24/7 for two straight weeks; I killed our grass and racked up an enormous water bill. Oops. I'll never do that again!

Lunch

My first day back at work went by pretty quickly since I had a lot of catching up to do. I kept in touch with people from work and read emails while I was out, but I still had a bunch of things to go through. Before I knew it, it was lunch time!


Lunch today was a bunch of leftovers from Saturday's tamale feast, but remade into something totally different. I made a giant salad on Saturday that barely got touched, so I packed it up into individual containers for lunches.

Today I grabbed one of the salads and topped it with a handful of crushed blue corn tortilla chips and two veggie & cheese tamales that I warmed up in the microwave. Then I tossed the whole thing with some fat-free catalina dressing that Matt's mom left here over the weekend. A perfect working lunch on a 90 degree day!


Time to go change out of my jeans and throw on a sundress before getting started on dinner. I was planning to make a paella tonight, but I think a cold dinner is in order instead. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment