Monday, April 9, 2012

Turn Down the Heat

We made record time getting to Vermont last night. We arrived in less than 7 1/2 hours, with daylight to spare!

After getting settled, we sat around chatting and ate a late dinner of pasta with broccoli rabe. One of my favorites! My Grandma also came up to visit, and brought along these little sweet bits to share:


I ate one of the homemade raspberry jam cookies, and then split the shortbread cookie with Matt and my mom. Homemade shortbread has to be one of the best things in the whole world. Must be all that butta!

Breakfast


I was planning to take a class at the gym with my mom this morning, but Riker's had a few rough nights and my sleep-o-meter is scarily low, so I decided to catch a few extra zzz's instead of heading to the gym at 5:30 AM. Sometimes sleep is just more important. After sleeping in a bit, I rummaged through the fridge and came up with some plain Greek yogurt and fresh raspberries and strawberries. Yum!


I paired it with a toasted 100-calorie blueberry breakfast thin. It was tasty but a little dry without any butter (and butter was not something I needed after indulging in shortbread last night), so I ended up spooning the yogurt and berries onto the bread. I actually kind of loved this!



My mom took the afternoon off work, so we're all about to head out for the day. It's drizzling outside so I'm not sure what the plan is, we'll just have to see where the day takes us.

I've been a little remiss with my Earth Day posts the last few days, though, so before I go, here's one to get you thinking on this Monday morning:

Earth Day Tip #3 (courtesy of Live Right magazine): Turn down the heat. Shut off the oven a little early, while letting foods continue to cook in the residual heat. For pizza, turn off the oven 5 minutes early; for cookies, 8 minutes early; and for roasted vegetables, 10 minutes early.

I never thought to turn the oven off early, but it makes  a lot of sense since the oven stays hot for a while after it's turned off. Hopefully this little tip helps cut your energy bill a little too!

No comments:

Post a Comment