Friday, May 11, 2012

Eat What You Want

So apparently today is National Eat What you Want Day! What? Who comes up with these crazy holidays? Well it's official, so I say celebrate!

I'm sure if you're eating whatever you want today it probably won't be grilled mako with fennel, but I'm sharing it with you anyway. ;-)


Fennel is usually really pricey by us, so when I saw it was on sale at the grocery store last week, I made sure to grab a bulb. If you've never had fennel, it's a crunchy vegetable that you can eat raw (usually in a salad) or lightly cooked, and it has a wonderfully mild licorice flavor. Matt is not a fan of black licorice candy but still loved the fennel, so don't let the black jellybeans scare you away from trying this. It's so unique and tasty!


Last night we simply cored the fennel bulb and cut it into quarters, then added 1 tsp. of olive oil, the zest and juice of half a lemon and salt & pepper. Then we grilled it for a few minutes until it was slightly charred. 


On the side we had grilled corn on the cob and mako fish seasoned with Mrs. Dash. 


Everything tasted great, but unfortunately I was still feeling pretty lousy and didn't have much of an appetite, so I only ate a few bites before calling it quits and sliding my leftovers onto Matt's plate. He's usually game for eating anything I don't finish. ;-)

Off to start the work day. Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment