Monday, June 11, 2012

Bread & Cheese Day

If Saturday was about being productive, Sunday was all about relaxation. MomMom slept over with us on Saturday night and offered to take the baby when he woke up early in the morning so Matt and I could sleep in a little. I will never say no to that! ;-)

Once I got up, I put together a simple breakfast for everyone. Mini bagels and fruit salad for all!


I had a bunch of fruit that needed to be used up, and chopping everything into a bowl seemed the easiest way to get to it. Our fruit salad was filled with fresh pineapple, mangoes, oranges and green apples. After I made it I realized it wasn't very colorful for a fruit salad, but it tasted fresh and sweet.


I also had a cup of Kona coffee (bought on sale at BJ's and so good!) in my New Orleans mug.


After breakfast and a leisurely morning at home, we loaded our little family into the car and headed over to Matt's parents' house to sit by the pool for the afternoon. It was pretty hot and muggy, so a dip in the pool was what we all needed.


I'm not one for sitting in the pool longer than a few minutes, so once I cooled off I sat under the umbrella reading my book. A few weeks ago Matt bought me a Kindle Fire for my birthday, and the first book I downloaded was The Hunger Games. I breezed through it and Catching Fire and just finished the third book in the trilogy, Mockingjay. Such an easy summer read!


On our way over to the pool, we stopped by my favorite cafe, L Gourmet, to pick up lunch for everyone. They have the best sandwiches and salads, and they'll let you make whatever you want. I ordered a fresh mozzarella and roasted tomato sandwich with romaine lettuce and pesto on ciabatta bread. 


I planned on only eating half, but I was starving, and I mean look at that thing. There was no stopping once I started! The bread was crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, and the mozz tasted like it was made fresh that morning. Mmmm. It filled me up for the rest of the day. 


After a day at the pool and a visit to my sister-in-law, we ended up having a late dinner. I had thawed out a pizza dough earlier in the day, so whipped together a vegetarian version of chicken-bacon pizza. I guess it was a bread & cheese kind of day. :) 


That'd be crumbled veggie bacon, chopped up veggie chicken, and low fat mozzarella cheese on whole wheat dough that I actually cooked on the grill outside. See those grill marks up there? Smoky flavors all around! To add some freshness and peppery flavor, I piled handfuls of arugula on top before munching it down.


A tasty way to finish a Sunday evening. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment