Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Baked Taco Salad Bowls

It's been a while since we've done any Mexican food around here, and you know it's only a matter of time before the addiction rears its head.


 

Every once in a while I get a craving for taco salad, but I don't usually order them out because restaurant versions are pretty high in fat and calories - especially the ones with the crispy delicious taco shell bowls. Which we all know we love.


There are some gadgets out there to help you make fried taco salad bowls, but ta-da - these ones are baked! To make these fancy taco bowls, I just took 8-inch tortillas (I use Tumaro Low in Carbs Tortillas) and placed them inside glass bowls to make them a bowl shape. Then I baked them at 400 degrees for 13-14 minutes, until the taco bowls were slightly browned and held their shape. That's it! Make sure to keep an eye on them so they don't burn.


I filled my taco bowls with lettuce and a bunch of garden veggies including purple peppers, green peppers, cucumbers and onions. I also topped them with Morningstar Farms soy crumbles for some protein, black beans, a little shredded cheddar cheese, and hot sauce.


Every salad needs a dressing, so I made a version of "sour cream" dressing by combining fat free Greek yogurt, lime juice, lime zest and sea salt.


These shells are not as crispy as the deep fried taco bowls, but they are fun and do the trick. Ripping pieces off and dunking them in the sauce is the best part anyway. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment