Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fall Salad

Roasted figs!


The other day I spotted fresh Mission Figs at the grocery store, and couldn't pass them up. The instant I saw them, my mind flashed to roasted figs and beets and other delicious fall flavors mingled together in a fall salad. After eating leftover chili the last few days for lunch, I was officially in the mood for a big plate of greens for dinner tonight. 


I started by warming up my oven and roasting some fresh beets, then moved onto the figs. The figs can of course be eaten raw, but they gain so much more flavor when cooked. To roast them, I just trimmed off the stems, cut them in half, then drizzled them with a little olive oil and honey before sticking them in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes or so. They browned up beautifully and gained that sweet, caramel, brown sugar flavor I adore. 

While the figs roasted, I seared up a yellowfin tuna steak with salt and pepper in my cast iron skillet.


That filet is a thing of beauty.

Topped with a little blue cheese and blueberry balsamic vinegar, this was one winner of a dinner salad.



Matt had to head out right after dinner for an evening soccer practice, so I'm finishing up some work and then heading to bed early to finish Gone Girl. I just hit a major twist and had to force myself to put it down last night, can't wait to see how it ends!


P.S. If you are a book lover and want to share book recos and reviews, let's be friends on GoodReads! You can find me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment