Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Ringing in 2013

Happy New Year! Yesterday I spent the last day of 2012 enjoying time with family and the first few hours of 2013 celebrating with close friends. No better way to say goodbye to another year and ring in the new one!


As soon as Riker woke up yesterday morning, Matt and I jumped in the car and drove up to north Jersey to see my lovely grandma. She was visiting from Vermont and staying at my uncle's house through New Year's; I hadn't seen her since Thanksgiving, so was excited to spend some time with her again. She recommended a cute little restaurant in Montclair that serves a great breakfast, Raymond's, so that's where we headed to eat, chat and exchange our Christmas gifts.


Raymond's has amazing breakfasts. I ordered the Norwegian Eggs Benedict, which came with potato pancakes, organic poached eggs and homemade herbed hollandaise, smoked salmon and arugula. I've never had Eggs Benedict since it usually comes with Canadian bacon, so was excited to try this. It was perfect! Salty, crispy, creamy and peppery. The arugula was a perfect addition. I also ordered a fruit cup on the side.


By the time we got home it was mid-afternoon, so I took care of grocery shopping and a few other errands before getting ready for the big night. Around dinnertime I packed up Riker and Butters for a sleepover at the grandparents; Matt's mom was kind enough to watch them both for the night so Matt and I could go to a New Year's party with our friends. She also fed us a dinner of baked shrimp, spinach tortellini and veggies, with chocolate pudding for dessert. Classic!



Then it was party time! My friend Nicole and her fiance Joe were having a NYE party at their new house, which was decorated all cute for the holidays.


They set out a huge spread and we had a great time chatting over cocktails waiting for the clock to strike midnight.


I made a blackberry, lime vodka & prosecco drink I found on Pinterest, which was good but not as flavorful as I would've liked. It definitely looked prettier than it tasted, but still a fun festive cocktail.



I also made a cheesy tailgating bread using a recipe from Jessica @ How Sweet It Is. The whole thing was gobbled up. Talk about buttery, cheesy, garlicky goodness. Oh man. Definitely check out the recipe sometime. It's certainly not something I'd make often, but it was fantastic party food.


Off to write my resolutions and enjoy my last day of vaca with my little family!

No comments:

Post a Comment