Friday, February 1, 2013

Crockpot Spinach Lasagna

This weekend we had plans to go to the Poconos for our annual Camelback cabin ski trip. I got up early this morning to pack and was planning to power through my work day so we could get on the road right around 6 pm. Unfortunately Riker woke up with 2 bloodshot eyes and a nasty cough, and I had a feeling our plans would be changing. A morning trip to the doctor confirmed that my poor boy has pink eye and a respiratory infection. :/


Pink eye is super contagious and we of course didn't want to spread the germs, so it looks like a pajamas-filled weekend is in store for this little family. Thankfully Riker's in great spirits and doesn't seem to be too bothered by being sick, but I thought he deserved a giant lollipop anyway. It was his first piece of candy and of course he loved it. Don't worry, I only let him eat a little before wrapping it up for another day.

But we're here to talk about lasagna!




I've made crockpot lasagna a few times and it always turns out great, so I knew I wanted to make it as part of the crockpot challenge. I also always seem to have leftover ricotta lying around, so this was the perfect place to use it.


This lasagna could not be easier to make. It only takes 15 minutes to throw together, so I put everything in the pot one day this week while I was making my lunch. Then I turned it on high and let it go until dinnertime.


By the time Matt got home from work, the house smelled like Italian food and this baby was ready to go.


Easiest lasagna ever!

Off to relax with my new book - I finished The Glass Castle (great book!) and feel like I need an easy, fast read now, so I downloaded Divergent on my Kindle last night. It's in the same genre as The Hunger Games, so I'm already hooked. Hope your weekend is off to a great start!

Crockpot Spinach Lasagna

Serves 4-5

Ingredients
8 no-bake lasagna noodles
1 26-28 oz. jar of marinara sauce (I use local or homemade sauce)
1 oz. package frozen spinach
10 oz. part skim ricotta cheese
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oregano
8 oz. part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded

In a bowl, mix together ricotta cheese, 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. oregano. Set mixture aside.

Meanwhile, cook frozen spinach according to package directions. Add remaining 1 tsp. salt, squeeze out any excess water, and set aside.

Spread a thin amount of marinara along the bottom of the crockpot. Break apart 2 lasagna noodles and spread them out. Spread a thin layer of ricotta on top of the noodles, then add a layer of spinach and a thin layer of mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers (sauce, noodles, ricotta, spinach, cheese) 2 more times. Cover and set on high for 3 hours, or on low for 5-6 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment