Monday, June 10, 2013

Great Wolf Lodge Getaway

This weekend was another busy one - what would you expect? - but it was really fantastic. Our little family went on a mini getaway just the three of us, and it was just what we needed after having so many recent solo trips away from each other. Although a productive weekend at home was probably what my to-do list needed, my little boy needed to spend some undivided quality attention with his parents, so we gave it to him.


My parents arrived here late Friday night for a short visit on their way to PA, so it was nice to wake up and have breakfast with them on Saturday morning. They took off around 11, and we packed up the car shortly thereafter to drive a few hours to the Poconos to visit Great Wolf Lodge.


Great Wolf Lodge is a rustic-themed resort totally geared toward kids and families. There are activities everywhere you turn, and being the log cabin lover I am, I loved the decor as well. The greatest thing about the Lodge is the huge indoor waterpark.


There are tons of huge waterslides, a wave pool, a lazy river, hot tubs, "warm tubs" (hot but not too hot for the kiddies) several large indoor and outdoor pools, and a bunch of other fun water things going on.



There was a giant toddler area with water geysers and slides that Riker could go down, which he loved.


We spent all afternoon in the waterpark before breaking for some dinner - pizza and salad on the outdoor patio.


Great Wolf has a bunch of evening activities as well, and while most of them are geared towards older kids we made sure to play in the arcade and catch evening storytime by the fireplace with the giant raccoon.







Our room had a nice balcony facing the mountains, so after Riker went to bed Matt and I stayed up with a bottle of red and some Jack Johnson playing on our new Bose speaker (love this thing - so perfect for travel!).



***

Sunday morning started with a morning meal at the breakfast buffet. You know I'm not a fan of buffets, but I agreed to go along since they had a made-to-order omelet station.


I got an omelet stuffed with fresh spinach, mushrooms and cheese, with a side of roasted peppers and tomatoes. Not a bad way to start the morning before heading to the waterpark for the day again. We stayed until around 2:00, then packed up our room for the drive home. A few pitstops were to be had: the Michael Kors outlet to spend my birthday money on some new sunglasses and a summer bag (in love!), and lunch at a gourmet marketplace.


Matt and I ordered his & hers salads with tons of veggies, olives, citrus salmon and an apple cider vinaigrette. It was super fresh and delicious. The final pitstop was to Matt's parents' house to pick up Butters and so Riker could have a quick visit with the grandparents.


Blowing bubbles is his new favorite thing.

Such a great weekend! Though I'm happy to not be traveling anywhere for a few weeks to come. This girl needs to be a homebody for a while. ;)

Now I'm off to watch my DVR'd Next Food Network Star and then crawl into bed to read my new book until I pass out. I just bought Firefly Lane to take a little break from the dystopian novels for some old fashioned summer reading, and I'm liking it so far.

Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment