Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Peach Blueberry Crisp in a Jar {Recipe ReDux / Paleo}

When I read that this month's Recipe ReDux theme was food in Mason jars, I was smitten. We all know how I feel about jars. I drink out of them, use them as portable salad dressing containers, and use the large ones for salads in a jar.


(Those jar salads are actually my friend Heather's, but I'm sure she won't mind me stealing her pic. She actually made them today when taking her girls and Riker to Storybook Land for the day).

I can all kinds of jams, sauces and pickles with them, and eat my breakfast yogurt parfaits out of them at least several times a week. This morning included. They just fit so perfectly in the car cup holder when I'm heading to the bus station or to drop Riker off at daycare.


I even use them for flower vases since I love their rustic look outdoors.


I smile every time I look at those sunflowers on the patio table, by the way. They're just so happy!

But for a Mason jar challenge, I couldn't just whip up a new yogurt parfait creation and I've been dying to try some kind of dessert in a jar. I have a Pinterest board full of them. I really wanted to make something guilt-free that I could eat on a weeknight, though, so this recipe hits all the right buttons.


It uses fresh Jersey peaches Matt's mom picked in an orchard on Monday. It's slightly sweet but not overwhelming, and has a crunchy topping made with hazelnut flour. And it's in a jar, so it's obviously super cute and also super portable - I actually screwed the lids on top to take them over to my in-laws' house tonight, since we're having an impromptu BBQ dinner with Matt's parents, his cousins and their kids. I only made 4, so I guess we'll have to all fight over them.


These make me just want to sit in an Adirondack chair on a warm day watching the sunset. So that's just what I'll be doing in a couple of hours. :)






Peach Blueberry Crisp in a Jar (Paleo/Primal)

Serves 4

Ingrediens
3 peaches, peeled, cored and sliced
3/4 cup blueberries
1 tsp. stevia
1/2 tsp. honey

Topping
1/2 cup nut flour (I used hazelnut, but any kind of nut flour will work)
1/2 tsp. stevia
1 Tbsp. melted butter
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 325.

In a mixing bowl, combine all filling ingredients. Stir well, then divide evenly between 4 small Mason jars.

In a separate bowl, combine all ingredients for the topping. Spoon mixture evenly over the filling in each jar. Place jars on a cookie sheet and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, until fruit is bubbling and topping is browned. Serve immediately, at room temperature or cold. Top with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.


3 comments:

  1. That is a fun idea. It looks yummy. It would be fun to do this for a party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love Jersey peaches too...(and I know Storybook Land :) ) . Great idea for a delicious crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I love fruit crisp, never combined peaches and blueberries before though.

    ReplyDelete